FBI arrests “suitcase killer” Heather Mack at Chicago airport after returning from Bali.

This story details the court case of Heather Mack, “Suitcase Killer”, who was indicted Wednesday at the Chicago airport for stuffing her socialite mother into a suitcase in an attempt to gain access to her trust fund.

This story is well written and it is a case that I had not heard about at all until I was looking for stories for this week’s news comment. When I was originally reading this article I became a little confused about the timeline of events from the beginning of the article to the end. To a normal reader without any knowledge of this case or of due process of the law I think it could be a confusing article. The first paragraph makes it seem as though this murder was very recent. Later in the article, it makes it clear that the event surrounding the murder took place in 2014.

It also introduces the fact that Heather Mack had involved her boyfriend in the conspiracy. I feel like that was information that could have been included in the first paragraph of the article and maybe even in the lead.

Overall this was a very interesting article to read. It was something new and little known in a world full of COVID news. I would recommend this article to anyone who is interested in the case or in true crime in general.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/crime/heather-mack-fbi-arrest-bali-b1950927.html