Star Gymnasts give senators an unsparing account of the FBI’s failures on Larry Nassar Investigation.

The article details the ongoing court case of Larry Nasser at the senate judiciary committee and the failures of the FBI to properly investigate the claims of four elite gymnasts Simone Biles, McKayla Maroney, Maggie Nichols, and Aly Raisman.

The article starts by detailing the events leading up to the court case, then provides quotes from each of the victim’s testimonies stating that “The FBI made me feel like my abuse didn’t count” The article goes into detail stating that the FBI failed to further investigate allegations made by these athletes leading to continued unchecked abuse. The reports filed by these gymnasts were not filed until months after the incidents had occurred.

I believe the author was very objective in the way they wrote this article. Nasser was already convicted at the time of this hearing. The question was not whether he did it, the question was whether the FBI did their job in investigating and protecting these athletes. If any opinions were given, they were direct quotes from the victims themselves. Further down the article, the author uses quotes from representatives defending the FBI’s actions. I believe they did this to ensure the integrity of the article, ensuring it did not come across as one-sided.

I liked how the article was organized, the structure made it very easy to follow along. The author put the facts of the case upfront and then selected a quote from each of the witnesses’ testimonies to place throughout the article. It was very informational, and I would recommend it to anyone interested in the situation.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/simone-biles-mckayla-maroney-aly-raisman-senate-fbi-investigation-11631723958?mod=hp_lead_pos8