Navigation | Final Draft

Final Draft

Andrew Schnebel

Professor Fugslang

September 15, 2011

Observation Paper

While walking around campus one place that sticks out to me on campus is the Rosen Voordern Sports Center, which is the home arena for basketball and volleyball matches. Along with that it has the athletic weight room, coaches offices and classrooms for teams to watch film in. It also houses the athletic training room for all athletes to use. The sports center was built in 1949 and the arena seats over 2,500 people. Not too many years ago Morningside College remodeled the front of the building in front of Allee Gym and built in new bathrooms, concession stands, and an alumni club room.

The exterior of the sports complex is solid brick all the way around, with glass front doors. It is located right on Peters Avenue right on the main drag of Morningside College. Students who attend the College have to be lost not to know where this historic building is located.  There is a cement sidewalk that goes all around the outside of the building. Inside on the second floor is the alumni clubroom, which recently was redone, and all trophies are put in that room, it is a pretty prestigious room. Then inside is Allee Gym which is the gym where basketball and volleyball games are played.

Once you enter Allee Gym, you can watch basketball games or volleyball matches reminds me a lot of my high school the way the gym is set up. While attending games in the past there, the crowd doesn’t too often get into it, its like a whole bunch of people just go watch but don’t feel like cheering at times unless it’s a big game. Seeing the place at full capacity is a sight to see but it rarely gets to full capacity. The smell of the place can get pretty stinky with sweaty athletes working out when you go up and visit the weight room or make your way by the locker rooms depending on what time of year it is.

The other night while watching the volleyball game, I began to observe the crowd, the players and the officials. While watching the crowd I immediately could tell not too many students knew what volleyball was or how it is played. But the sight of fans cheering really got the team going. Watching the officials is always entertaining also, sometimes they just look as if they are dozing off into space. You can hear the boos of the crowd when the officials made a bad call. You can see the excitement on the teams when something goes in favor of them.

Overall the Rosen Voordern Sports Center is one fantastic place to watch a sports venue. The wonderful people who live in Sioux City are always there to support their local College team at any sport that takes place. In the end if you are bored any night of the week or are just curious enough to go see what really happens inside of Allee gym go on over and check out all the wonderful things that go on.

Filed by Andrew at September 13th, 2011 under Other Posts

Since I’m not one for critiquing papers I’m not sure what to tell you as to what to improve. I felt the paper was straight forward and gave a great description of the building. I have walked passed it many times, but I have never been in there before, so your paper gave me a good idea of what it looks like.

Derrick — September 13, 2011 @ 2:03 PM

I liked your introduction and the casual feel of the paper. I’d have to agree… everyone has to know where this gym is.. but have they been inside? I think you give a good overview as to what’s in there for those who aren’t athletes.

I think your second to last paragraph’s last sentence is a run-on sentence. Maybe it’s just a comma splice. I’d take a peek at that, though.

Claire Elyse — September 13, 2011 @ 2:07 PM

I have been in this building many times last year for weight lifting and basketball games. From what I remember you seem to have described. If you wanted to make this really long you could go into describing the weight room and football locker room but I think you you did a good job. And you are right the crowds at the games generally suck.

Joshua — September 13, 2011 @ 2:11 PM

Some quick questions: Spelling? Who is the “they” that remodeled? Stinky in what way? What about the set up? What does Allee have to do with RVD?

You might consider working on organization a bit, Andrew. Keep like things together. Maybe first do the outside, then move inside, then a description of game night. Pretty objective and mostly visual.

In order to include a quote, you could talk to athletes or coaches about what the building means to them.

fuglsang — September 14, 2011 @ 2:32 PM

I¦ve read several excellent stuff here. Certainly worth bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how a lot attempt you set to make this type of great informative website.

2012 Christmas Kindle Fire HD Deals — December 11, 2012 @ 12:43 PM

Awsome post and right to the point. I dont know if this is truly the best place to ask but do you folks have any thoughts on where to get some professional writers Thanks

Christmas Galaxy Note Deals 2012 — December 12, 2012 @ 5:26 AM

This is a good subject to talk about. Generally when I come across these sort of things I like to post them on Digg. This article probably wont do well with that crowd. Ill take a look around your site though and submit something else.

Macbook Pro Christmas Deals 2012 — December 13, 2012 @ 1:51 AM