Navigation | Weekly News Comment #2

Weekly News Comment #2

For retired NFL players, most challenging ‘season’ just beginning

After reading this article I felt that my view on life has changed a little. This article was written by a former college and professional football player named Lamar Campbell. He had some eye opening facts about life after you take the pads off in the NFL. Most players after they retire from the NFL don’t really know how to handle themselves or know what the next step is because they have played football their entire life. Facts came out during the lockout this past year about life without football, the average life expectancy of a retired NFL player is 53-59 and the average NFL player is retired by 28. Within fives years of leaving three quarters of the players end up broke or divorced. These facts are not good to look at and Lamar and the NFL players association are now creating programs to help players transition better after they retire. Lamar wrote a pretty good article on the perspective on retired NFL players, and I found it very interesting to read. Yes some people in the World probably think this is not newsworthy because its about football players. But you can view it differently such as not many people know what to do after they get done with school and have difficult times

Filed by Andrew at September 8th, 2011 under News Comments

This is an interesting story, Andrew. It almost makes me think professional FB players are worth what they’re paid. But not quite. What is strange is that they go broke so fast. Where does all the money go? There’s a comment in there about how many people these athletes “have to pay,” but why?

What would you link this to for me to get more information?

fuglsang — September 9, 2011 @ 11:02 AM

This is very interesting. Professional football players are most definitely worth what they are paid! I remember when I quit football. Instead of getting divorce, I got married. I did go broke though, and only time will tell on my life expectancy. On the serious side though, football is a rough sport and the average career in the NFL lasts barely over three years. The retired players body’s just seem to break down from the beating they took on the field in their younger days. And the part of the body that takes the most damage is usually the brain. The NFL is trying to crack down on the big hits and trying to make safety a priority but for many players it is already to late.

Joshua — September 9, 2011 @ 3:33 PM

You will find certainly a lot of details that way take into consideration. That is an excellent point to create up. I provide the thoughts previously mentioned as general inspiration but clearly there are questions much like the one you mention where the most important thing will be in honest great faith. I wear? t know if best practices have come forth around things such as that, but I am sure that your career is clearly referred to as a reasonable game. Both youngsters feel the particular impact of only a moment’s enjoyment, for the remaining of his or her lives.

Sid Spearin — July 7, 2012 @ 5:31 AM

Excellent post. I was checking constantly this blog and I am impressed! Very helpful information specifically the last part I care for such information much. I was looking for this particular information for a very long time. Thank you and best of luck.

Christmas Sony Camera 2012 — December 15, 2012 @ 10:29 PM