They call me Diegs, read about it.

News Draft

Morningside Dance Team gets ready to compete against 24 colleges in Iowa.

(Sound Bite: 5,6,7,8)

Iowa State Dance Team Championships are just around the corner. And every year, more than 5,000 dancers from all around Iowa showcase their best talents to compete for the trophy, and Morningside college is no exception.

Roughly 270 high schools and 24 colleges compete for the title of state champions. Morningside College Dance Team (MDT) is made up of 14 dancers all coming from different backgrounds.

The team has had to learn choreography 3 months in advance, and these dancers practice 3 times a week for 2 hours each time. Senior Jenna winkler is one of the captains of the team and she tells us that it takes great time to perfect these routines (soundbite of Jenna,  what does it take to prepare for these championships? ) .

Jenna aslo mentioned that team competes in Jazz, Pom and hiphop, against other colleges and universities with similar size as Morningside.

Coach Alisha Steckler mentioned the process of selecting the music as every team has a theme for each individual dance (sound bite about the theme and song choices)

As mentioned by the coach,  the team is judged in execution, overall effect, appearance, choreography, showmanship and technique and all of those components are taken into consideration by multiple judges.

Junior Allison Wright shared her experience and told us how fun it is to compete at the championships (Sound Bite on Allison)

Morningside college will be competing on November 30th in Des Moines, IA at the Wells Fargo Arena.

You might be polluting the oceans by just wearing and washing your clothes. 

Did you know that most of the ocean’s pollution does not come from the typical straws and cups? and what if you were told you are actually hurting the planet by wearing clothes that are made out of “plastic”.

It is no secret that today, the everyday wear is made out of polyester, nylon, and synthetic fibers. Wearing clothes is not the issue, the problem is washing the clothes, because tiny plastic fibers get released from the clothing being washed, into the already polluted oceans.

In 2016 Imogen Knapp, a marine scientist at the University of Plymouth co-directed a study that found exactly how many fibers are released from what types of clothing. Think about the amounts of clothes that are washed on the daily, and how much clothes each person has.

The study found that seven hundred thousand fibers get released in a single load of laundry  and  Knapp has conducted an experiment to see what items release the most amount of fibers, and found that acrylic fiber shed the most, followed by polyester.

So next time you buy and wash clothes, watch out for materials that might hurt the marine life and oceans.

(I will implement the voice of a environmental friendly person in the science department to see if they knew this was an issue. I will probably delete the study and instead focus on how the environmental friendly person didn’t know they were hurting the planet unless they did know that.

This is all I have so far, I will get more interviews soon, I’m struggling to pick another story that I am interested in doing.

2 Comments

You come in at 2:46, so OK. Of the three stories, the plastics one is the only one that suffers. You lose some of the meaning, I think, though the source does bring in some good info.

Maybe slow down a bit and work on enunciation (the hunga? for the number one position). Good intro of sources. Keep sentences short, with just one idea.

Good leads. With the cuts you get a better focus for the dance story.

The two stories look pretty good, Diego, but I’m guessing you will run long unless you trim them. Focus the stories on the main issue and cut the excess.