Commuters at Morningside University share an insight into the pros and cons of being a commuter.

A student that does not live on campus grounds and drives to school daily is considered a commuter. Most commuter students live in-state, as a result, qualifying them as commuters.

Being a commuter comes with significant advantages, according to most students. Andrea Balderas shares her convenience, “Being a commuter allows me not to be homesick or miss out on family events.”

Commuting helps reduce college costs as well. “Not having to pay the 10k for room and board is awesome. I still get to sleep in my bed and have my room that requires no sharing,” said Lupita DeAnda.

However, there are disadvantages to a commuter’s life. Myrka Gomez said, “Parking is a big issue, and not being involved or engaged in college is what helps build those relationships.”

Being a commuter leaves little time for activities and gatherings. Most of the time, a commuter does not find out when events are and when they do, commuters can’t make the time because of their busy schedules. Lupita DeAnda states. “It’s hard to stay in the loop of what goes on campus, especially with two jobs and siblings to look after. “

Students and staff often forget that commuters who have lived in-state continue to live their typical lives with their families. Their families still require attention and help, generating a possible disadvantage.

Commuters not only help their families when needed but also spend a lot of time driving to and from school and face weather complications throughout the year.
These commuters would like to foresee lower tuition costs or possibly a commuter scholarship to help with extra financial expenses. “Having a parking spot for just commuters would help tremendously, especially if placed in a location where you can get to any building,” stated Andrea Balderas.

Although commuters don’t get the entire ‘college experience,’ they prefer to stay as commuters. Myrka Gomez said, “I would not like to live in the dorms. I enjoy having my apartment and parking even if that means managing my time wisely to get things done.”

Even if life is challenging for a commuter, they would prefer the extra stress instead of living on campus for the college experience. Lupita DeAnda states, “there are many cons to commuting, but viewed as the best option for students, so don’t be discouraged; we all struggle in our ways commuting or not. “