Sep 13 2022

Profile Image of Marnix

Lead 4: A Suspicious Barn Fire

Posted at 10:59 am under News Articles

One day before the opening of the racing season, there was a fire in the barn of Norfolk Down Race Track in Chicago at four o’clock this morning.

Of the 25 horses which were stabled here, 15 of them did not survive the fire, 13 thoroughbreds and two saddle horses. The 10 horses which did escape included two horses which stampeded through the barnyard with their backs on fire.

Arson is suspected as the cause. The fire chief, Jim Connery was certainly suspicious of the incident:

“The fire exploded near the center of the barn. Flames were shooting out of the building when we got here. The fire is definitely suspicious.”

While watching workers clean up the area, a jockey named Albert Ramos was almost in tears:

“That’s my best friends,” he said, pointing to the surviving horses. “I love horses more than I do people. I feel like I want to cry.”

The barn was a one–story, wooden structure with only several rows of charred wooden supports remaining after the fire. An arson squad had been called to the scene while the fire smoldered until noon.

One response so far

One Response to “Lead 4: A Suspicious Barn Fire”

1. fuglsangon 30 Sep 2022 at 2:05 pm 1

Active verbs, Marnix:

A fire destroyed a barn at Norfolk Downs Race Track, Chicago, this morning, killing fifteen horses. Arson is expected.

If someone stops reading, they have the basic facts.

Comments RSS