Intro to Religion 5

Today we learned about the pilgrimage to Graceland. I found it very interesting how so many people go to visit the death site of Elvis Presley. I also found it very interesting why some of the people went there. While many simply went there because they are a fan of his music, many others went there because they can relate the pain he felt in his life with the pain that they are experiencing in there own lives. I think I would definitely consider this a pilgrimage, because it has all the aspects of the Turner model. This also gives support to my feelings that a pilgrimage doesn’t have to be associated with a religion. While some argue that this Graceland retreat is a religion, I still have my doubts. In my opinion it doesn’t have a lot of the more important things in a religion such as an ultimate reality or a cosmology.

About Kyle

9 Responses to “Intro to Religion 5”
  1. Mike Gettner says:

I thought it was interesting that so many people flocked to Elvis’ death site. His music was really valued among many people but I think people kind of overreacted to him and his death. In the end he is just a person. Many people felt the same pain that Elvis did and when Elvis sang “hurt” a lot of people compared their life experiences with Elvis’. I agree with you when you say that the journey to Graceland is a pilgrimage. People go from their conventional world to Graceland, mingle with other people from all over and form communities, create an anti-structure, and then through all of the festivities they return home a different person. I also agree that the Graceland gathering is not a religion. I feel it lacks several components. Elvis himself can’t really be an ultimate reality and without a higher being that sets rules and governs people you don’t really have a solid religion. Also their isn’t really any myths (other than some people think that he is still alive) or stories that guide the so-called religion. If someone is going to make a religion out of someone famous they could easily start one for Michael Jackson, Michael Jordan, or any other sports or music figures. I think that just because someone is important or an idol to the people doesn’t make him a higher force. He is a human and not a god. It was good practice for the semester test when we picked apart the aspects of the Graceland pilgrimage. I hope the semester test isn’t too hard.

2. Reid says:

Darn straight, a pilgrimage does not have to be related to religion. If a pilgrimage had to be related to religion, then humankind would find another word for it. Or make a fake religion. Is there such a thing? A fake religion? Maybe in terms of scams, possibly. Anyway, I was thinking about how a pilgrimage or religion could be outlandish. The thing is, I doubt there is one. It might be outlandish in our eyes, like worshiping a dude that none of us never heard. Like, that guy (Just throwing it out there. That guy could be anybody you see on a certain day.) What I find weird is how it depends on the person’s perspective. Like, a man or woman from India would find the bread and wine ordeal strange. Yet, it is the same vice versa. So, it is strange how different humans can be. One would think that because we are of the same race, we would similar religions, similar, well, everything. But, that would not be natural to have everything the exact same. Life would be really boring. Anyway, I have noticed that religions are quite similar in their beliefs, at least the major religions of the world. Basically, do good and give to charity and be nice, all that. I am just trying to get to the 250 word count so I am talking about random things and if Elder does actually read this, well, he would probably chastise me. In which case, bring it on!! Anyway, I am at my 250 word count, so have an awesome Thanksgiving!!!

3. thank you for such a fantastic site. Where else could anyone get that kind of information written in such a perfect way I have a presentation that I am presently working on, and I have been on the look out for such information.

4. It’s exhausting to seek out knowledgeable individuals on this topic, but you sound like you recognize what you’re speaking about! Thanks

5. Gratuiti says:

Terrific work! That is the kind of information that are supposed to be shared around the internet. Disgrace on the search engines for now not positioning this publish upper! Come on over and seek advice from my site . Thank you =)|

6. papaka says:

great put up, very informative. I wonder why the opposite specialists of this sector do not understand this. You should proceed your writing. I am sure, you’ve a huge readers’ base already!|

7. Wow that was unusual. I just wrote an extremely long comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn’t show up. Grrrr… well I’m not writing all that over again. Anyhow, just wanted to say superb blog!|

8. I visited multiple web pages except the audio feature for audio songs current at this web site is genuinely fabulous.|

9. Hi, the whole thing is going perfectly here and ofcourse every one is sharing data, that’s really good, keep up writing.|

Recent Photos