News Article #2

As a result of Texas almost getting rid of abortions completely, California might be in trouble to follow. To start off in this article, Soumya Karlamangla explained how Roe v. Wade ruling, which legalized abortion nationwide, could be overturned due to Texas. California is home to Guttmacher Institute, a research group that supports abortion rights. In California last year more than 100,00 abortions were performed alone. So what does all of this mean for California? 

Karlamangla explains next that if Roe V Wade were to be overturned then it would be up to the state for the abortion laws. Here we find out that if this would happen, California as well as 13 other states would most likely keep abortion legal. It’s also stated that most people would likely go to California for an abortion if needed. If abortion were to be ilegal for some California would be a hot spot for others to come in and get one. We will have to wait and find out to see what will happen in California abortion laws due to Texas. 

The audience that Karlamangla is speaking to here are California residents. Mainly I think she is speaking to those in California who are following the abortion laws in Texas and want to know what that means for their own state. It could also be anyone following the abortion laws around our nation. She stays with California as they have most of the abortion clinics. I liked how she explained California was the state where a lot of abortions happen. She also explained in this article that California could start getting a lot of people in from other states to treat an abortion. 

It’s hard for me to decide whether or not this is news, but I’m going to have to say it is. Abortion laws are laws that affect everybody or could affect a lot of people at some point. I think following what is happening with it, especially if a 50 year old ruling, Roe V. Wade, might be overturned due to Texas. I thought it was interesting how California’s governor is anti-choice, but the votes from the people would still be to allow abortions. Overall I would take this information as news and advise people to still watch over this as it could affect some of you in the future.