News comment #3

The article “How a Muslim ‘Sex Mob’ Hoax Led to a Gruesome Murder”, written by Josephine Huetlin, covers a crime story in Frankfurt Germany that occurred in 2018.

When reading the article, one may realize that the headline and the lead are not very connected. The headline is supposed to catch the attention of the reader by dramatizing the facts with adjectives such as “gruesome”. Further the use of “how”one extraordinary event lead to another makes the reader want to know what caused this headline. Nonetheless, when reading the lead, none of what is said in the headline is further evaluated. Besides, the lead only informs the reader about the victim of the murder, neither her connection to the ‘Sex Mob’ nor how that got her murdered.

One can state that this is not a very discerning lead as it does not make the reader get further interested in the story but characterizing the victim with posts and hashtags. The article also drifts of when starting a new topic of “men at women’s march” in Berlin which has not been mentioned in the headline, subtitle or lead. The events mentioned in the headline have also taken place in a completely different city. Apparently the author wants to drag a connection between these two events, however it can be very confusing to the reader.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/how-a-muslim-sex-mob-hoax-led-to-a-gruesome-murder

One thought on “News comment #3

1. “Starsucker” is a new one for me. I’m not sure what to make of this. In some ways it”s similar to the first assignment I gave you. She’s taking a bunch of stories about one subject and trying to “summarize.” That seems to be complicated by the Muslim material. There is also an attempt, I think, to further connect Muslim immigrants to violence. Or maybe it’s an attempt to criticize those who connect Muslims to violence. I really can’t tell.

I checked the Breitbart link. The reporter misspelled Mai.

I don’t read Daily Beast. I thought it was connected to Newsweek, but Wikipedia calls it a “high-end tabloid,” which is not a compliment.

I would be interested in following more of this story, Luc.