A look into Sha’Carri Richardson’s crazy summer.

Sha’Carri Richardson became a household name over the summer when she gave a positive drug test that would disqualify her for the Olympic games.

Richardson’s positive test came from her use of marijuana. Which she said she used as a coping mechanism for the death of her biological mother. Richardson took full responsibility for her actions and spoke out publicly to apologize to her fans as well as the country.

Richardson spoke with Savannah Guthrie on Today about the situation where she said, “I want to take responsibility for my actions. I know what I did, I know what I’m supposed to do, what I’m allowed not to do, and I still made that decision.”

The situation garnered a lot of attention from celebrities and fans alike. Actress Gabrielle Union took to Twitter, like many, saying, “Weed is great for many a thing but running faster isn’t one of them. LET HER RUN!!!” Radio personality Damon Bruce also took to Twitter saying, “If smoking weed made ya faster, I’d be the Road Runner. Let. Her. Race.”

As the games were nearing, there were whispers that Richardson could be selected for a U.S. relay team. This gave Sha’Carri and her fans some hope that despite missing out on the 100 meter race, she could potentially help her team to a medal in the 4×100 meter relay. However, she was not selected for any relay team.

The World Anti-Doping Agency has announced that an advisory panel will decide if weed is to remain on the banned substance list. A new policy could be in order after the situation from Richardson over the summer.

Sources – Sha’Carri Richardson Olympic debacle may prompt WADA to remove cannabis from banned-substance list (deadspin.com)White House calls Sha’Carri Richardson an ‘inspiring woman’ but stops short of opposing suspension (msn.com)Sha’Carri Richardson Explains Marijuana Usage (buzzfeed.com)