Supreme Court Does Not Act on Texas’ Near-Total Abortion Ban – The New York Times (nytimes.com)

The Supreme Court recently had the new Texas abortion law come across their desk. The Justices ruled in favor of the law 5 to 4. This ruling has upset many people because the new law is the most restrictive abortion law in history. What has been most upsetting for the public and the 4 Justices ruling against the law, is the fact that the law has no exceptions for rape and incest. Previously the Supreme Court prohibited banning abortion before fetal viability, when a fetus can sustain life outside the womb. This new Texas law does not allow abortions if a heartbeat is detected which is usually around 6 weeks. However, most women have no clue they are pregnant that early. The new law also deputizes private individuals to sue anyone who performs an abortion or even “aids and abets” it. This means the patient may not be sued, but doctors, staff members, and even the person who drove to the clinic can be sued. This law will undoubtedly lead to abortion clinics being shut down and staff members are worried about their futures. President Biden has stated that the new law “blatantly violates” the constitutional right established by Roe v. Wade. However, Roe v. Wade will be potentially overruled in coming months.

This New York Times article intrigued me. I am pro-life so I am more in favor of this law than most. In my opinion it is wrong to abort a fetus because that is a life. Unlike the law, I would make exceptions for rape and incest. This article is interesting because it really focuses on the losing side of the Supreme Court ruling, which is not a bad thing but it really helped me learn some new things about the pro-choice side of things that I was not aware of or didn’t think about. The article was well written and kept me interested throughout.