Talk To A Not so Complete Stranger

Thursday, Oct. 15

Day after day I see Joseph. He lives at the very end of my hallway and sometimes I see him when I leave my room. The hall way is very long so when I walk to the door and he does as well, we are walking towards each other for quite a while. If we make eye contact there is an awkward silence because its too far away to say something, yet he is right in my eye site and there is nothing else to look at. I usually walk really slowly on purpose so that he gets to the door way earlier and will not feel the need to wait to hold the door, or that we walk down the stair case at the same time. Other than that, I see him at soccer practice, where all we say is “Hi”. One time I needed to get to an appointment and I had no one to drive me, so I asked him for a ride. I decided to take that as an opportunity to introduce myself to him and start a little conversation. Joseph usually plays video games with his friends in his free time. His parents are separated and his dad is not a big part of his live. He also has a step dad. Joseph also does not like to party very much and never drinks or takes any drugs. He told me how once his friend almost died in an accident when he was drinking alcohol, therefore he does not like to do it. Also that his mom would get “really really” mad at him is what he told me. Joseph is the kind of kid who is not very outgoing. He is quiet at soccer practice and reserved. Nonetheless, he is exceptionally polite and helpful. People like him and I have little in common. I still think that he is a great guy and I have the feeling he would probably not expect that I think this way.

I hope he does not think I just talk to him to make him drive me around.

One thought on “Talk To A Not so Complete Stranger

1. Some good detail, Luc. But if he’s a soccer player, and lives on your
    floor, it’s odd you have not had more contact. I think that may say
    something about the size of the team. Maybe too many players. Or
    maybe Maxon should be doing some mixers.