Scavenger Hunt

As an assignment for our Journalism class, we were supposed to talk to two strangers and collect one item from the conversation. This exercise was supposed to make us more comfortable in approaching people. “Talking to strangers is one of the things people fear the most” is what professor Fugslang explained when assigning the task.

The first person I talked two was Brandon who works at Buck’s. I see him multiple times during the week when I get my meal exchange, so decided this time I was going to talk to him for a bit when the situation arose. He told me about how he was glad that the shift was over almost over since it was already 10:30 pm. I asked him what kinds of hobbies he had and he replied that he liked listening to music and he also makes music in his free time. He always seemed like a very kind person because he is very courteous and also remembers my name when he greets me. Hence I was interested to find out a little bit more about him. He signed one of the napkins with his names for me.

The second person I talked to was Jim Sykes. I wanted to interview him anyways for my story “Okan’s Outage”. Since I never talked to him before, this came in as a good opportunity for having a conversation with a stranger. I also interviewed my coach Tom Maxon for the story, however, we are not strangers so the conversation was less formal and I did not feel nervous. For Sykes it was a little bit different because I really had to think about how I will approach him and what kind of words I would use.