Story Article #2 Rough Draft

An increase of the healthfulness of college campus food environments is an important step in promoting healthful food choices among college students. 

A cafeteria is an environment where students are presumed to enjoy, due to all the food options and the atmosphere with fellow classmates eating their food. All eating habits and meal plans differ when it comes to every student on campus, for an example, athletes and regular full-time students. 

So much is buzzing on Morningside College campus, topics ranging in all varieties. A frequent conversation between students will most likely include the mention of food; whether it be breakfast/lunch/dinner on campus. 

Morningside College contracts with Sodexo to provide campus meals to residence hall students.Sodexo is a French based food company that caters over 44 colleges and universities in the USA.

In a mini-series interview, 3 students were asked from Morningside about their nutrition intake and their eating habits depending on what activities they participate in. Discussing how Morningside food services meet their desires and needs of nutrition. Two athletes and one full time student were interviewed. 

Madisyn Heeren, a small forward Sophomore on Morningside’s Women’s Basketball pondered over what sets her eating habits apart from others by managing practice, weight lifting, individual workouts, and being a nursing student. 

All students on campus have different meal plans, when asked about Madisyn’s plans and why she replied stressfully, “I’m on a 14-meal plan because I don’t have time to eat lunch. I’m always doing basketball shit and trying to balance a nursing major!”  Normally athletes will have higher meal plans as compared to a full-time student at Morningside student who does not participates in sports.

Hannah Capps, a sophomore Political Science major, has a different schedule balancing school and her on campus job, along with Political Science functions for her classes. In balancing nutrition for herself, Hannah mentioned that what she knows about eating nutritious meals only affects her habits “sometimes.” 

Capps who is also on a meal plan has the 9 meals a week option. Being a non-athlete, it is presumed they have less swipes for the Caf because they don’t rely so heavily on having food prepared for them right after they come from a tiring practice. “I have a small meal plan because eating at the Caf sucks. I only eat there at least once a day, maybe twice depending on my mood.” Eating in or going out to other food options is a frequent option for Capps and other fulltime students. 

All students look for nutritious options when it’s provided by the campus, watching what they fuel into their bodies has a significant impact. Like Madisyn, Alex Borchers, senior point guard on the men’s basketball team, keeps in mind what he should be putting into his body. “Yeah, you know for an athlete,” Borchers began. “Optimal nutrition helps you perform well and it’s important to fuel what your body needs.” As a senior Borchers lives off campus so he doesn’t have a meal plan and prefers his meals from home. He mentioned he wouldn’t be able get the 30-40 grams of protein, fruits and veggie balance he strives to eat on a daily basis if he ate at the Caf.

As Madisyn pushes on a busy day with nursing clinical’s and practice, when she does eat lunch with her teammates she comments she always leaves hungrier because the food offered hadn’t satisfied her hunger. “Even when I do get to eat at the Caf, the options do not taste good.” As her options are limited due to time crunching, according to Madisyn she lives off bagels and cereal during the day. Nutritionists do not recommend that intake on a daily basis, even if options are limited. 

Borchers attempts the opposite since he lives off campus but still has a crazy time schedules as an athlete. “When I have a time crunch on a meal I always plan ahead. That’s a big struggle planning ahead when you know you don’t have time.” Both students demonstrate the difficult multitasking skills they need to have to get through day to day without mistreating their nutrition needs. 

Capps agrees it’s hard, yet it’s hard for all students to find their balance and health nutrition in a limited optioned space. 

Comments

1. 3 students from Morningside were asked might fit better. I like how you chose three people with three different meal plans. It really helps me as the reader see every possible perspective. Maybe try simplifying some of your sentences to make them easier to read. Overall, I think you have good content and a great story overall.

2. I think your story starts out with a pretty good lead but I feel like it may be a little wordy. I think that your sources are very good ones. I liked how you used both student-athletes, and the normal full-time student. I also liked how you used people that have a meal plan here and also someone who doesn’t have a meal plan. I really like the quotes you chose from them because they tell about how they truly feel about the caf. I also feel like your story is organized pretty well. It talks a lot about different ways students chose to eat here and their options.