An Interview With Andrew Nelson

On Tuesday October 4th, 2022, I got the pleasure of talking to the Director of Morningside’s campus ministry Andrew Nelson.  When the first question was asked of what is your job in your words? His response was, “I tend to the spiritual life of campus students and… help the students with any faith and help connect to something bigger than you.” Even though Andrew is an expert in Christianity he will help student get connected with any faith that they have just to try and help them grow with any faith they may have. Andrew followed his wife to Sioux City when she got a job at Morningside University to teach, Andrew than applied to be the director of campus ministry and got the job here at Morningside. Andy was asked if he always wanted to be pastor his whole life and he was almost more puzzled than I was his response was, “Well, growing up my family was big in the church and when the first time someone asked me about it that’s what sparked my interest to becoming a pastor.” So, it sounds like that was almost just awoken inside of Andy after his first question. Andrew than took his faith into college where he studied religion and political science. Nelson now has 4 kids of his own and “he doesn’t really have time for hobbies now” but when he can get time he loves to fish, take the kids to soccer practice, doing dishes and loves to go deer hunting with his dad. Andrew grew up in a very little town called Red Wing, Minnesota and has always seemed to remain in the Midwest other than taking mission trips. So, he has always been used to smaller groups which is why Morningside is such a good college to him. Andy said that he loves the accomplishment feeling that he used to get working on houses seeing it go from bad to looking really good so, I asked him if he gets that feeling being in campus ministry to which he replied, “Sometimes I get that feeling yes. But more times than not it’s like planting a seed, you see it grow after some session but other session see it recede or even disappear.”