Uncategorized

Story #2 (Draft)

COVID affects Morningside Baseball

The month of March for the Morningside Baseball team is a pretty important month. Finishing up a week long spring break trip and returning to campus to start the conference season against other GPAC opponents. That’s how it usually goes, but the month of March for 2020, did not go as usual.

The team had received news about COVID-19 sweeping the country and the possibility of the season being cancelled. The season hadn’t really been in full swing yet as the team only had around 15 games under their belt for a 50-game season. A few days before playing Morningside’s GPAC home opener against Mount Marty, the team received word that the season was cancelled. 

“I was a little shocked at the news when I first heard it from coach. Then I realized my senior year was over just like that and I had no control of it.” Said Derrick Johnson, who graduated last year. The seniors of the baseball team were stripped away from playing their last season and were planning on graduating on time. Johnson added, “I would have stayed and played another season, but I was already finished with school and had everything planned out to move forward.”

Moving forward was the case for all 6 seniors on last year’s team, as no senior returned to the field this fall. 

With the cancellation of last year’s season, came questions about this year’s season as well. I talked to head Coach Adam Boeve and asked if he thought this year’s season was going to happen or not. Adam responded with, “I was very adamant on our fall season being able to continue, especially with sports like volleyball and football still practicing over the summer. With all the guidelines and regulation COVID has brought to the campus, we’ve done a great job so far as an athletic program to keep the virus under control.”

The head coach thought Morningside so far has done a good job keeping our athletes and students safe. “As long as were able to play, I’m a happy guy. Athletics are so important here at Morningside and it’s awesome to see people come together and work towards a safer campus, practice, and season.”

I finally asked Coach what the difference is for planning and operating a baseball team under this pandemic. He says, “It’s most definitely been a crazy time for a coach like me. Practices have to be scheduled differently; we can’t be within 6ft of each other for more than 15 minutes, masks have to be worn and travel guidelines have completely changed. There is a whole bunch of challenges that have come with COVID-19.”   

With high hopes on this year’s baseball season, Senior Camden Parks said he’s “more than ready”, to start the year off, regardless of COVID. Camden, a 4-year pitcher for the Mustangs has been a key element of success for the team over his career. I asked Camden what he thinks the future looks like for the baseball season moving on into the spring. Camden said, “I feel like once we get to the spring, COVID will not be an issue of the proportion that it is today. We will still wear masks and social distance, but the game won’t be affected as it is now.” 

The game won’t be affected as it is now? Camden claims, “Yeah, in the spring we should be able to shake hands with the other team, sit closer to each other on buses, all the things restricted right now will be less in the spring (I hope).”

As COVID has affected us all, we must stay true to what holds us together here at Morningside. The college has continued to extend the efforts of containing COVID with the athletes and all others on campus. With the correct measures and if the rules are followed, Coach Boeve and players are optimistic on continuing the season strong. 

October 6, 2020

About Author

cjk008

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Story #2 (Draft)”

1. specifications-price-purchase-rebar-ladder-bonyadco
    میلگرد، به پروفیلی با سطح مقطع دایره‌ای و توپُر گفته می‌شود که اغلب افراد، نوع فلزی آجدار آن را که در ساختمان‌سازی کاربرد دارد، می‌شناسند. قیمت میلگرد بستر به طور معمول، جنس میلگرد از فولاد است؛ اما باید بدانید که تنوع تولید این محصول، بسیار زیاد بوده و در صنعت، انواع میلگرد، تولید و استفاده می‌شود.

2. Tempobet  numaralı bahis sitesi bahis şirketleri, Türkiye’nin en güvenli canlı bahisini oynayabilir.! Tempobet giriş adresi Şimdi kaydolun ve kazanmaya başlayın!