News Comment Week 9

October 20th, 2021 | Uncategorized |

The story I picked for this week’s news comment is about the NFL launching a responsible betting awareness campaign with the rise of sports betting. The initiative will fund local and national resources for gambling addiction. The NFL hopes that supporting these resources will inform people about some of the dangers of over betting and prevent addictions. Multiple large scale sportbook companies have joined the movement including Caesar’s, Draftkings, and Fanduel.

I think this article has a great lead which is both entertaining and informative. It tells exactly what the article is about without giving too much information and also acts as a good hook. I like the way the article is well organized because it tells the reader the most important information and then supports it with quotes from people heading the project. I would have liked to see some of the information get moved around to better match the inverted pyramid style of writing, but overall I enjoyed the article.

https://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id/32437253/nfl-launches-responsible-betting-awareness-campaign

One Response to “News Comment Week 9”

1.   fuglsang

I watched a bit of an NFL pre-game, and there was a bit where Phil Sims and Boomer offered their picks for some gambling site. It’s going to be hard to separate the NFL from gambling… If anyone even wants to.