News Comment Extra Credit

November 23rd, 2011

Ad companies around the world use provocative images, sexy images, dry humor, sad displays, and so on. Wodka Vodka’s billboard that displayed over a NYC street used the images of dogs. Not only were they dogs but a dog dressed as a Jew and a dog dressed as Santa. Cute? Maybe. But the Wodka ad campaign went a little further. Next to the dogs was a statement. It said Christmas Quality Hanukkah Pricing next to the dogs and a bottle of vodka. WOW!! The sign was taken down in no time due to distraught, enraged people who saw the billboard. Brian Gordon, head of MMG, the advertising company, released a statement saying it was suppose to be a “ha ha quirky” message not anti-semitic. Further investigation of Gordon’s twitter account is taking place due to other “questionable” phrases and ads.

Wow! This shows how far an ad agency will go to be the most talked about! This link, shows the story and picture of the billboard, and I can’t see how this would come off “quirky and funny”. This is totally anti-semitic. I am not even Jewish and I am disappointed in how blatantly rude they are pointing out money and being cheap.

One Response to “News Comment Extra Credit”

1. fuglsang on November 28, 2011 9:09 pm

What’s that old saying… There is no bad publicity. I think too many people, not just advertising companies, are using that to justify stupidity. I would bet someone brought up the whole anti-semitic thing months ago, but whoever was in charge decided the bad publicity would be worth it in the long run.