The article I read is called ‘Can anything change Americans’ minds about Donald Trump? The eerie stability of Trump’s approval rating, explained.’ I got this article from Vox and it was posted on September 2.

I should start by saying I am very surprised I even clicked to open this article because I usually don’t get into politics much. I think that it’s a pretty dark depressing hole and I don’t really have the mental capacity to get into it but this headline really interested me and I wanted to know more.

The article is about previous presidents approval ratings compared to Trump’s. Trump’s current approval rating is 42.2 percent approval and 54.3 percent disapproval. Trump’s highest approval rating is 49 and his lowest is 35 – this is only a range of 15 points. Which the lowest range among almost every president.

I find these statistics very interesting. Especially with everything that has went on in the last year you would think that some people would change their opinion about Trump but that is not the case.

The person who wrote this article didn’t seem like they were a Trump fan so I would say that the audience of the article is people who don’t particularly like Trump or someone who just wants to know how people perceive our president.

I think this article is very interesting and it relates to things we talk about in class because we talk about how news can change peoples’ opinions or make them believe different things but with Trump, this is different. It seems that people have already formed their opinions about him and no matter what he does or what happens, those opinions are not going to change. You have either supported him and been a Trump fan from the start or you absolutely despise him, end of story.

https://www.vox.com/2020/9/2/21409364/trump-approval-rating-2020-election-voters-coronavirus-convention-polls

One thought on “News Comment #2”

1. “Eerie” is being polite.

A nicely done comment, Skyler.

I’m not sure what to say about the objectivity of the piece. It would fall under the category of “analysis,” so the writer has some freedom to include opinion. But since he is dealing with statistics, he should be able to stay factual. The gist of the article is to attempt to explain “why” Trump stays popular with a minority of Americans, and there is no answer. Only guesswork.