The article I chose for this week’s news comment is called “Why election uncertainty is so hard to process, according to a psychologist.” The article is from Vox.com and was posted on November 4.

The article is about why this feeling of not knowing feels so uniquely awful. The short answer is that humans hate uncertainty. For a longer answer, the author went to Dr. Kevin Antshel, director of clinical training in the psychology department at Syracuse University. Dr. Antshel explained that as life has grown relatively more stable over the course of history, people crave that stability even more.

Dr. Antshel says that uncertainty is associated with depression and anxiety which is why this all feels so awful. Especially with all the access to social media and all of this negative media, it is not a great combination.

This article stuck out to me because I have been struggling with the election uncertainty. It’s the second day since the election and we still don’t have answers. I think the whole country hates this feeling of uncertainty. The world is complete chaos, especially on social media. My social media is filled with fake news of ‘election fraud’ and stopping the count and just a bunch of bull crap and that is even more disheartening.

I am glad this article was written because it is good to know that there is a reason why we are all feeling like this and it was good to read that there are legitimate reasons behind why we’re all feeling like this. I think this article was written specifically for that reason and it is aimed at people who are struggling to cope with this situation.

https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2020/11/4/21549902/election-news-uncertainty-fatigue-anxiety

One thought on “News Comment #11”

1. “Explainers” are good examples of feature stories. Vox seems to like them, and does them pretty well. Vox’s main audience is young people who may not have experience with some events, so explainers can be quite helpful.

I’m glad you recognize bull crap when you see it.