Tokyo Japanese Steakhouse and Sushi Bar

Today I ate at Tokyo Japanese Steakhouse and Sushi Bar. It is located near Southern Hills Mall in the building that was formerly occupied by Coyote Canyon. Like the name states, they are a Japanese style steakhouse. They cook your food to order right at your table and even put on a small performance of cooking tricks while doing so.

Approaching the restaurant, it looked very clean and simple. It was brick building and had one clearly displayed sign. The interior of the restaurant was impressive. The first thing I noticed was that even though it was a few year old, it looked brand new. There were no signs of aging. To further this aspect, the establishment was immaculately clean. Every grill looked near new and I didn’t see a dirty plate or carpet stain anywhere in the restaurant. This was obviously a nice restaurant.

fd4f684e8374481d2005f2b14c2589ea db72d541f96e377d67c8ca48133470f7

After being seated, the next thing I noticed was the service. The people working there seemed to actually take in interest in your enjoyment. My drink was being refilled constantly and our order was taken quickly. The best part of the service was the cook. He performed several of the well-known tricks that occur at restaurants like this. For example, he made a flaming volcano out of onion slices. The best part was he had a great sense of humor and a fun personality. He immediately began joking around and having fun as he was cooking. He even made conversation outside of what he was required to do. He had some really interesting things to say about different cuts of meat and fish.

Taken from their website. http://tokyosiouxcity.com/

The menu contained a varied mix of seafood and quality cuts of beef. I ordered off the lunch menu because it was significantly cheaper and still looked tasty. I finally decided on swordfish and shrimp as a main entree. The main course I ordered came with a side of fried rice and vegetables. I also ordered an appetizer of soft-shell crab. The soft-shell crab came out quickly. I’m no exactly sure what I think about it. This is the only soft-shell crab I’ve ever had so I have nothing to compare it to. It just kind of tasted like a piece of fried meat. It wasn’t great. It wasn’t bad. It just tasted like fried food. The swordfish was decent. It was cooked with some lemon that added a great flavor to it. The rice was actually rich and flavorful. I had never had fried rice that tasted to rich before. The vegetables tasted great, but that was largely due to the fact that that they were swimming in butter. Even the mushroom served as little garlic butter sponges. I’m not claiming it was healthy. I’m saying it tasted great. The best part of the meal was the shrimp. They were popping with flavor. There was nothing subtle about the taste of these shrimp. They were large, buttery, and fresh tasting.

The meal

The meal

Overall, this restaurant provided a great meal in an extremely nice environment. They are welcoming to all ages and the atmosphere is very comfortable. The one catch about this place is the price. Expect to spend about twenty dollars per person to have a great meal here. Unfortunately, that price-point relegates this restaurant to a very special occasions only restaurant for me. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone provided they’re willing to spend that kind of money.