Weekly News Comment #3

For this weeks weekly news comment I chose an article that was about Serena and Venus Williams tennis match at the U.S. Open. I feel like this article is news worthy because there are many people that are interested in the U.S. Open, and the fact that the Williams sisters played against each other made more people interested. I feel like people would be interested in this article because Serena Williams is very popular when it comes to tennis and many people know about her and how good she is. The only critique that I would have for this article is that the author wrote a lot about past events and it took awhile to get into the information about the  match between the two sisters. I feel like if the author would have eliminated some of the past things it have made it better.

The audience for this article would be anyone that is either interested in tennis, the U.S. Open, or Serena and Venus Williams. I feel like the lead was effective because the author was able to get his point across. They were able to do that by adding quotes from both sisters and I thought it was good that they added the scores of all of the matches between the two athletes. I do not think that there is anything missing, and the only thing that I would have changed was take some of the past events out. I liked the information on how many times the sisters have played against each other, but some of the other things could have been eliminated.

1 Comment so far

1.   fuglsang on September 11th, 2015

Don’t read it as a sports story, Molly. It’s more a feature on Serena, and on the sisters, than it a story about a win at the US Open. The NYT isn’t the go-to newspaper for sports results, and it knows that. So it focuses on going deeper than just the score. In this case it wants to give the “human interest” angle of the game.