“Florida Man Donates Nearly $1,000 to Pay Off Entire Town’s School Lunch Debt” by Joelle Goldstein news comment

Goldstein reports on Andrew Levy deciding to pay off more than 400 kids’ school lunch debt in the town of Jupiter, Florida. His reason for paying off the children’s debt is because he was astonished by the number of students in debt and wanted to help out the community that he’s fallen in love with. Having no children or personal connections to the schools, it’s a simple act of kindness. Levy’s actions inspired others to also come forward donate and he says he is planning on organizing a fundraiser in the community four times per year to help out those families in debt.

To start with, the article’s title was a bit misleading. The title includes “entire town’s school lunch debt”, but once you begin reading the article further, it says he only paid off 400 kids’ debt. There was still a lot of debt to be paid off so phrasing it that way made me assume he paid a lot more. I was curious about the motivation of the act, so I’m glad it was closer to the beginning of the story. I could see how the inverted triangle format could’ve been used but I think it’s arguable if the fundraiser Levy is holding is more important and should be closer to the beginning than it was. 

1. fuglsang says

I’ll do this one, since Florida Man is generally kind of fun. The fundraiser can get publicity/stories when it gets closer to the actual date.