The Future Burden

“I don’t care about being popular. I care about climate justice and a living planet.” Greta Thunberg stated at Katowice during her speech presenting to climate specialists. 

Greta is a 15 year old activist from Sweden, and she gave an amazing insight into the perspective of the future. “The year 2078, I will celebrate my 75th birthday. If I have children maybe they will spend that day with me. Maybe they will ask me about you. Maybe they will ask why you didn’t do anything while there still was time to act.” She stated when asked about the future. 

It’s an insight into the potential future. Especially in a world where we have depleted our natural resources and as we continue to use resources that are non-renewable we are at very high risk of simply running out. 

The room intently waited on every line that Greta said, and she seemed to have the room in awe. She maintained the attention the whole time.

“We have run out of excuses and we are running out of time.” Greta stated as she began to bring the speech to a close. She is asking for all people to do something to change the climate situation across the world and in everyone’s communities.

Greta isn’t just a activist, she herself “practices what she preaches.” She lives with a very small carbon footprint and has created strikes in her own school to try to raise awareness. She isn’t alone, she was introduced to climate activism by her parents who also live with a small carbon footprint.