News Comment #1 9.2

Sources: New England Patriots cut Cam Newton; Mac Jones to start

ESPN: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32119363/sources-new-england-patriots-cut-cam-newton-mac-jones-start

Cam Newton’s release came as shocking news. After an impressive preseason by rookie Mac Jones where Mac played 68 more snap’s then the now ex-patriot Cam Newton, who was cut early Tuesday morning. Mike Reiss’s article laid out the events that led up to Cam’s release, Cam’s reaction, as well as the identity of AFC East now that Mac Jones is the starter in New England.

This isn’t the first time the Patriots made surprising moves regarding their quarterbacks. They famously let Tom Brady sign with Buccaneers during the 2020 offseason. The Patriots had also previously traded backup quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo to the 49ers in 2017. This isn’t mentioned in the article which I thought was a mistake, because it would have established a pattern of shocking moves by the Patriots organization.

After establishing the fact that the release of Newton was official, the author switches gears and states that New England’s head coach had said previously that Cam would have to earn the starting role. The article then provided Mac Jones and Cam Newton’s preseason stats. Which was a smart inclusion because it gives reason as to way Cam was released and Mac was named the starter.

This was followed up by the current QB situation in New England and the AFC East as a whole. It is presumed that Mac Jones will be the starter, Bryan Hoyer the backup, and Jarrett Stidham the third stringer. Later on the author should tweet that stated of the four starting QB’s, there is none over the age of 25 in the AFC East. Mac Jones will be 23 next week.

The author also provides Cam Newtons response to the release where he said in a Instagram post “I really appreciate all the love and support during this time but I must say … please don’t feel sorry for me. I’m good.”

I believe the author did a great job in creating a brief look into what the current situation is with Cam Newton. With it being a sports article and the situation still unfolding there was no reason to gather additional information or to do more investigating into what the situation is. However, the author could’ve speculated on what the next move for Cam Newton or the Patriots might be. I also think the title of the article is exactly what the remainder of the article needs. The title is straight to the point, which sports headlines should be.

I believe that this article is definitely news to a sports fan, because Cam Newton is former MVP and despite his lack of great performances in recent years, Cam is still one of the most well-known players in the NFL. However, I can see how someone could say that this isn’t news because it is sports and there are more important things going on in the world.

One thought on “News Comment #1 9.2

Everything looks good, Jacob. You have summary and comment. You have a link. You even mention info that maybe should have been included, which is good.

A discussion of audience and news value. You have an ear for sports

“could have” rather than could’ve