News Review for 10/13

Click Here

This article appeared in the Rapid City Journal. The bison in this story are located in the Black Hills which is right in Rapid City’s backyard. I think this article/story is definitely newsworthy. From my experience, west river South Dakotians have a strange sort of pride in things in the Black Hills, including the bison, so they are always interested in how they are doing. I think the validity of this article is made very clear in this quote from the article: “The scarcity of bison without cattle ancestry leads some to argue that wild, apparently pureblood bison could qualify as an endangered species.” I think that the people involved in this study seemed very concerned and are doing a thorough job, seeing as they are testing a large amount of bison and want to test them annually.

1.   fuglsang Said:

on October 12, 2009 at 3:56 pm

So there aren’t very many “real” buffalo left? What we have are bison/cow crosses? That’s kind of interesting. Initially I though this might have been intentional to provide the bison more immunity from disease. That doesn’t seem to be the case.

So are bison really important to South Dakotans’ identity? The fact this hasn’t been picked up by a lot of media suggests it’s pretty local.

{ RSS feed for comments on this post}