Getting Ready to Rumble

October 10, 2019

As the weather cools down, the Morningside wrestling team eagerly awaits the beginning of the competition season.         

Coach Stevenson and the mustang squad have been working hard to achieve their lofty goals. Goals that have been set in stone since the end of season last year, but this year the team is has taken a different approach. 

The mustangs had multiple national qualifiers in the 2018-19 season and were able to secure a GPAC Regional title as a dual team. 

Coming in to the 2019-20 year the team has an all new mentality, and plan to make even bigger waves in NAIA Wrestling. In an interview, a fired-up head coach Jacob Stevenson had this to share. 

“Yeah we got a number of guys that I’m excited for. Our national qualifiers from last year Kyle Fowler, Jacob Wiley, and Phil Rasmussen”. He went on to say; “Jonah Egli and Dusten Reed are guys that are kind of off the radar, but they are guys that we’re excited to be on the mat for us this year”.

This is Coach Stevenson’s Seventh year with the mustangs. He has won three GPAC titles, and four second place conference finishes during his coaching career. 

Stevenson seems very prepared for the quickly approaching season and that has passed on to the motivated Morningside wrestlers. 

Junior Heavyweight and team captain Phil Rasmussen shared his thoughts on this year’s team as preseason training comes to an end.  

“I think everyone has been training hard and everybody’s just ready for the season to roll around… We definitely need to win the GPAC again this year”.  

Phil was a team captain last year as a Sophomore and plays a key role in the mustang wrestling family. 

The excitement shown by the team has influenced others as well. Former wrestler for the mustangs Brendan Crews is ready for the team to hit the mat. “I’ve been through the grind, and know what it’s like to start competing again. Now that I’m not wrestling anymore I feel like I’m going to miss it. I’m so excited to watch my boys kick some ass.”   

Wrestling season officially begins October 21stand their first time in action will be November 23rdin Minneapolis Minnesota. Morningside has three home duals this year including against their rivals Briar Cliff University. They will also be hosting the regional tournament which is the qualifier for nationals. You can find their competition schedule online at msidemustangs.com. If you’re bored and looking for some entertainment this winter make your way over to the Hyper Fieldhouse and cheer on the Mustang Wrestling team some love. 

Image result for Morningside Wrestling