Stuart Scott

Stuart Scott delivered an incredible speech last night at the ESPYs, that reminded everyone how to view battles through life.

Scott accepted the Jimmy V perseverance award at the ESPYs, for his fight against cancer. Scott is an anchor for ESPN, who is well known for his slang and use of catchphrases. Scott was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and has been battling it ever since.

In an emotional speech, Scott addressed the crowd on how to fight cancer, not let it dictate how you live your life. Scott said, “When you die, it does not mean that you lose to cancer. You beat cancer by how you live, why you live, and in the manner in which you live.”

Scott said throughout the speech that the reason he has been able to fight for so long was because of the people around him. He would not be there without the support of his loved ones. “So, live. Live. Fight like hell. And when you get too tired to fight then lay down and rest and let somebody else fight for you.”

Scott ended the speech by addressing the two people that mean the most to him, his two daughters. “I love you guys more than I will ever be able to express. You two are my heartbeat. I am standing on this stage here tonight because of you.” After he said this, he told his youngest daughter to come up on the stage and hug him and told everyone to have a great rest of their night and lives.

1. fuglsang says

Rather than “incredible,” which could mean anything, how about “emotional.” Then reinforce that with some quotes from the speech.

You’re using good quotes. You have a lot of them, and they fit, but don’t forget that paraphrase is an option.

OK on organization.