Jalen Portis P2

October 1, 2020

Prof Fuslang

College Athletics is the next step up from just playing highschool sports. With the importance of the sport coming with more time and emphasis, being a student-athlete can be difficult with the aspect of more workloads and responsibility than high school. The ultimate shift of college from highschool is that when you attend a university/college you are supposed to arrive at meetings when you have weight lifting times, while also having to receive treatment before practice. 

I asked a good friend of mine Jamal Jones, who also plays football “how is the transition between high school and college?

“Jamal said “Yes, in college it’s harder to manage time because it’s a lot more to do while making your own schedule to see how everything plays out.”

With Jamal being a Sophomore in college he had gotten past his freshman year with not as much of a workload but still managed to get by. The season in play makes things twice as hard with time management and school. I also asked Jamal “how do you plan to manage time.?” 

He says “ I discipline myself to finish one thing to start on another in between time to make sure I have time to get everything finished.” 

Being a student that does not play sports or have an extracurricular activity can be easier as far as just managing time on a daily basis to get your work done. Playing sports while going to school isn’t an excuse to not get your work done. According to the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), student-athletes spend anywhere between 30-40 hours toward their athletic endeavors. That equates to a full-time job! In addition to these hours, students are still expected to maintain a decent GPA.” 

There are plenty of ways to push through the obstacles by staying organized and attempting to stay on top of studying so you don’t fall behind.

After having  a conversation a freshman that goes to Morningside College named Colton Dreith. I asked him “what helps him best while he’s in college with keeping up with assignments?” His response was that “I keep a planner and write everything down that I need to do for certain classes. “

Moodle is a big help in staying organized, while I try to stay to adjust to the college life. For the college students that do have trouble with time management the best things to do for example is “completing assignments in chronological order, Write down in a planner , and don’t forget to keep a consistent sleep schedule.”(2020 & Mitchell, 2020). Find what’s comfortable for you in order to succeed while being a student athlete, and run with the success that is given from your way. 

2020, K., & Mitchell, K. (2020, October 07). 7 Time Management Tips for Student Athletes.

Admin. (2019, July 03). Why Time Management Skills are Important for College Athletes.