3 Audio Stories in Print

Lasting Legacy of Jose Fernandez

Jose Fernandez died September 25th in a boating accident with two friends early in the morning. Fernandez was the Miami Marlins’ star young pitcher.

The death of Fernandez not only affected the Marlins organization but baseball as a whole. Fernandez was described as the spark left in baseball. He was what baseball needed many said.

Marlins Manager Don Mattingly went on to talk about Fernandez’s and how he played. “There’s just joy with him when he played.”

Fernandez’s death made us remember that it is just a game, but it’s a fun game. Fernandez by no means a hall of famer, but his lasting legacy of the way he played the game will forever be remembered as one that everybody should play with.

Cubs Break the Curse

The Chicago Cubs break the 108-year curse as they went on the beat the Cleveland Indians 8-7 in ten innings in Game 7 of the World Series. The Cubs won the World Series despite being down three games to one, heading into Game 5 in Cleveland.

The Cubs were the first ever team to come back from three games to one in Major League Baseball history. The Cubs also proved a lot of people wrong this season. I talked to St. Louis Cardinals fan Sara Bauermeister about the Cubs actually winning the title despite many fans saying ‘It’s our year,” since she’s been alive.

“I think they proved a lot of people wrong, including myself. Nobody thought they could do it because they hadn’t in forever, especially getting down three games to one, I thought the World Series was Cleveland’s no doubt.”

The title is not Cleveland’s though as many know, and the Cubs have three to one odds to win the World Series next year according to ESPN, but we all know how three to one worked last time.

Morningside Women’s Cross Country Wins First Ever GPAC Title

Morningside women’s cross-country team won their first ever Great Plains Athletic Conference title in school history Saturday in Hastings at the GPAC championship meet.

The team was lead by the dynamic duo consisting of junior Michelle Mumm and senior captain Tiffany Shepherd. Mumm and Shepherd placed 2nd and 3rd with times of 17:50 and 17:54, placing them 3rd and 4th on the list of fastest times ran by a women in cross country in Morningside history.

The Mustangs were rounded off by: sophomore Morgan Applegarth, sophomore Payton Boer, freshmen Natalie Lambert, freshmen Alex George, and sophomore Cassandra Warner. They went 12th, 16th, 23rd, 26th, and 27th.

Freshmen Alex George went on to talk about the spectacular weekend in Hastings, “It was super exciting to be a freshmen and apart of the first ever title and to qualify for nationals. It makes me really excited about the future I have here at Morningside.”

The women’s cross-country team will compete with 29 other teams at nationals in St. Louis, Missouri on Saturday, November 19th.