Story #2 Jose Fernandez with 2 Interviews

Lasting Legacy of Jose Fernandez

Jose Fernandez died September 25th in a boating accident with two friends early in the morning. Jose Fernandez was the Miami Marlin’s star young pitcher who was expecting to get paid a lot of money this offseason.

The death of Fernandez not only affected the Marlins organization but baseball as a whole. Fernandez was described as the spark in baseball. He was what baseball needed many said.

I sat down with baseball enthusiast Kyle Hiser to asked him what his reaction was when he heard the news about Fernandez

“When his teammates, manager, and general manager all broke down and cried at the press conference after the accident, it really hit me in the feels. I have never felt so much emotion in a two minute video I’ve watched on TV.”

Fernandez was known to play with a little swagger and cockiness. When he struck somebody out he would get fired up. And if somebody hit a homerun off of him, he expected that person to show off to him, and he would respectfully tip his cap and say you got me.

I also sat down with huge baseball fan Bryce Gustafson and asked him what he got out of the death of Fernandez.

“It really brings you down to Earth and it shows you that nobody is invincible. Not even one of the best young pitchers in the game was vulnerable.”

Many believe baseball is a dying sport. It is a sport where it is not as exciting to watch as a sport like football is. Baseball takes a lot longer, with a lot less exciting plays. And baseball plays six out of every seven days. Which means you don’t have to wait a week every time you want to watch your team play.

Fernandez played baseball like a little kid. He had a ton of excitement when things were going well, and would take losses and bad performances hard. Fernandez played the game like everybody should according to many baseball players including Washington Nationals outfielder, Bryce Harper.

Hiser went on to say, “I was crushed. He was a phenom and has so much talent and potential. I was most hit by his love for the game how he played with charisma and excitement.”

Fernandez’s death made us remember that it is just a game, but it’s a fun game. Fernandez by no means a hall of famer, but his lasting legacy of the way he played the game will forever be remembered as one that everybody should play with.

Alvarez, Lizette, and Niraj Chokshi. “Marlins Pitcher Jose

Fernandez Killed In A Boating Accident.” The New York Times. The New York Times Company, 25 Sept. 2016. Web. 9 Oct. 2016.

ESPN.com News Services. “Nebraska P Foltz, Ex-MSU P Sadler

Killed in Crash.” ESPN.com. N.p., 25 July 2016. Web. 09 Oct. 2016.

Sports, USA TODAY. “Marlins Ace Jose Fernandez Killed in

Boating Accident.” USA Today. Gannett, 25 Sept. 2016. Web. 09 Oct. 2016.