John Gonsler Story

Second-year professor, former police officer John Gonsler brings new experiences and insights to Morningside’s Criminal Justice department.

Gonsler is in his second year of teaching at Morningside University. He is one of the two Criminal Justice professors on campus. However, teaching at a university was not what Gonsler initially thought he wanted to do and it took him several different careers and continued education to end up here.

During Tuesday’s class, the Fundementals of Journalism students asked Gonsler all kinds of questions and he obliged.

As a professor, he was asked if his style was based on those of his previous professors and Gonsler explained that he is a probably a “culmination of them all.”

Before ending up at Morningside, Gonsler attended Ferris State University in Michigan for a year after graduating high school. He didn’t like it there so he transferred to MSU where he completed his degree.

From there Gonsler worked in public law enforcement for two years in Flint Michigan. After those two years, he decided “it was not the right job for me, I’m still interested in criminals and crime, but I didn’t want to be a police officer.”

Gonsler explained that a couple of the reasons that he knew law enforcement wasn’t for him was due the the politics of the situation and the department. He also stated that “the sheriff was corrupt and dirtier than a pigs dick” after sharing a story about his time in the field.

Despite describing himself as shy and introverted Gonsler was able to keep the attention of the students through different stories and his colorful language.

One of those students who attended class and actively participated in the interview was Caleb Lubbers. During the next class Lubbers explained “I was more interested in his background than I was in his stories.”

After leaving public law enforcement Gonsler discussed how he went back and got a bachelors degree in anthropology in one year and then applied to a masters program.

In addition to working in public law enforcement he wanted a different experience and worked as a correctional officer for 6 months between getting his masters and PhD.

After completing some of his continued education and deciding that teaching was his next move, it was time for him to find an institution to work at and apply. Out of the 33 schools he applied to 2 of them were starting criminal justice departments and Morningside was one of them.

Gonsler applied and came to campus to be interviewed and met the department. He thought everyone seemed great and there wouldn’t the kind of politics that you find in a sheriff’s department.

“I was sold, so, once I started talking with the people here, it made my decision pretty easy” Gonzler explained.

In addition to finishing up his PhD and teaching at Morningside, Gonsler spends some of his free time playing in a band as the guitarist and bass player. He also takes his dog on walks and enjoys working out.

No Comment