Oct 02 2018

Profile Image of Daniel

Campus Pastor finds Reward in Job and in Home Life

Posted at 11:35 am under Uncategorized

Campus pastor at Morningside College, Andy Nelson, finds many great rewards and satisfaction through his work and home life. Andy has spent the last 2 years in a campus ministry role at Morningside College and this year will be his first full-time year on campus.

Pastor Nelson first got in to campus ministry at the University of South Dakota before heading home to take care of his then 3 year old child. After that a part-time position opened up at Morningside College and that is where he has been the last 2 years.

Andy says that he finds great reward from doing the work he does mainly speaking with students and hearing about their struggles while also helping them find their way in life. Andy says that his favorite thing about being the campus pastor at Morningside is the students he gets to chat with on a regular basis about everything from faith to school and everything in between. In fact this is the most exciting part of his day, “Most students will come into my office being apologetic like their interrupting,” says Pastor Nelson, “I always make sure they know they are more important and that they are the reason I’m here.”

While his job is very rewarding and he loves what he does, Pastor Nelson also added that one of the most rewarding things in his life is his family’s commitment to foster care. “We have 3 biological children and 1 foster child who is 16 months old.” Nelson and his wife Dr. Jessica Pleuss have had foster children for the past 2 years. “It’s rewarding and also very stressful because you never know what the situation is.” Regardless of the situation Pastor Nelson and his wife plan on being foster parents for as long as they can still do it.

For Pastor Nelson, working as a campus minister and a foster parent, are two of the greatest things he can participate in as someone dedicated to serving others. “I always looked for ways I can serve others, being a pastor was one of the greatest ways to do that.” Adding on the foster parent, Pastor Nelson has more than proved his ability to be a great man of service.

No responses yet

Comments RSS