December 1, 2022

ELON MUSK IS FINDING OUT THAT FREE SPEECH ISN’T ROCKET SCIENCE

This article is talking about Elon Musk and his purchase of Twitter for $44 billion. Musk believes that free speech is lost in America, and only tyranny lies ahead.

The article itself had much information. I thought there was too much information, though. Reading the article took me about 8 minutes. For something written about only one topic, it seemed unnecessary to have that much information. It was all well written, but also not needed.

The lead is a quote and is then followed by, “So says Elon Musk, the billionaire owner of Twitter, which remains, for now, the go-to place for political obsessives to argue over polarizing topics like gender therapy, school vouchers and Covid-19 policy.”

I think starting with a quote isn’t wrong, but it always seems like there’s better options. If he would’ve found a way to make the sentence following the lead what he started with, that would’ve been much more “attention grabbing” to readers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/29/us/politics/elon-musk-free-speech.html

One Response to “News Comment #13”

1.   fuglsang said:

I like your comment on the quote lead. If someone was in a hurry, that lead is not going to help.

But this is an analysis/opinion article, so some of the rules don’t apply.