Story #2

October 10, 2022

In recent years, Morningside University students have expressed major concern for the low-rate security systems among the campus.

Morningside University is located in Sioux City, Iowa and offers undergraduate students a small residential campus setting complete with immersive academic programs and more than 50 student organizations and clubs that span a wide range of interests. 

On Morningside’s public website, campus security says to have the following for security services – 24 hour escort to and from buildings, parking lots, or cars, vehicle assistance program, and transportation for those who have limited mobility. 

Morningside also offers programs including crime prevention, sexual assault awareness, self-defense classes, fire prevention, and alcohol and drug abuse prevention.

While there are a multitude of safety classes and precautions for the campus, many students continue to feel unsafe. The lack of security cameras around campus leave many students feeling concerned.

Kirstin VerPlanke is a sophomore at Morningside University who swims and lives in the apartment complexes. VerPlanke said, “Not having cameras around campus brings danger and discomfort to students, especially when living quarters are so close to major streets. Our safety and security should be a top priority to faculty and staff.”

Many incidents involving adults who do not live on campus have not only occurred in previous years, but this year as well. Students such as Kirstin express this feeling to others who live on campus, but rarely mention any of this to campus security.

Before school had started at Morningside in 2021, many car break-ins had occurred. Someone was shattering windows and stealing students and staff’s belongings including wallets, watches, and athletic equipment. 

Laken Harnly, a Junior at Morningside, was one of the students who had his car broken into. Harnly said, “Last year, I had my car window broken into and shattered before school started. I had my wallet, ray-ban’s, tools, and a basketball stolen from my car. I wish there would have been more cameras and lights in place to give more protection in our parking lots.” 

Maddy Slaughter also had car troubles last year. Slaughter’s car was involved in a hit and run in one of the Morningside parking lots. Slaughter told us, “Last year, my car got hit in the tennis court lot. Whoever hit me drove away and I was very upset to come out and see my car had been hit without any note left. I feel like if there would have been cameras, they would have been able to see who hit me so campus security could take care of the damages they caused.”

Recurring instances such as these are primary examples as to why Morningside would benefit in investing in security cameras for parking lots across campus.

One Response to “Story #2”

1.   fuglsang said:

Is this the final?