News Critique

December 8, 2011 | | 1 Comment

I’m not going to lie…I was drawn to this article on The New York Times’ website because of its title- “Hugh Jackman Keeps His Pants On”. I always love reading the articles on The New York Times’ website in the Arts section. This one appeared in the subgroup of the theater category and seemed very intriguing to me based on the title. I read through the article and it kept my attention the entire time. It did not seem like an article that would be in the newspaper, but a magazine. It was like a story and kept my interest. It did take a couple of paragraphs for me to figure out what the title meant to the article, but once I was done reading it was made clear. The title was referring to how Hugh Jackman may be portrayed as being gay because he enjoys singing and musicals and many other feminine things. This was proved wrong- hence the title “Hugh Jackman Keeps His Pants On” referring to the fact that he is still manly and is heterosexual.

I also noticed that in the online article there were a lot of words and phrases that were highlighted blue and underlined- leading to other New York Times articles or websites. I found this very interesting because in a regular printed newspaper this is not a convenience to the reader, but with online articles readers are able to be redirected to other articles of similar content. This is definitely an advantage of online newspapers. They are able to keep readers connected and maybe have them read articles they wouldn’t have originally read if they were reading an actual print copy.

1 Comment so far

1.    fuglsang on December 16, 2011 4:40 PM

The world is safe. Hugh Jackman is heterosexual.

Name (required)

Email (required)

Website

Speak your mind