News Critique #5

September 29, 2011 | | 3 Comments

I was feeling hungry while writing this news critique so I decided to read some articles in the Dining and Wine section on the New York Times website. My main focus was looking for a headline that urged on my hunger even more and sounded intriguing. The article I came upon was “Chicken’s Attraction Is Truly Skin Deep”. I clicked on the article and up popped a picture of a raw chicken posing in a seductive manner. This made me chuckle, and become hungry, while wanting to read on. The lead was as follows: “There are white-meat people and there are dark-meat people; there are those who swear by the drumstick, thigh or breast.”

This article was exceptionally lengthy considering it was only about chicken skin, but I found it interesting enough to read through the entire article. It was humorous, talking about how “everyone knows deep down that they are closet chicken-skin lovers, they just need some help.” I do not believe I would have continued reading if it was not humorous, just because I would have gotten bored of the simple subject of “chicken skin”. But because the author went on to explain recipes chefs have used with chicken skin as the emphasis, it fulfilled my desire for reading an article that would make me hungry.

3 Comments so far

1.    fuglsang on September 29, 2011 3:49 PM

I didn’t see any reference to chicken/turkey skin supposedly being unhealthy because of the fat. I had to search for the story. Give me a link, and an additionally link to something interesting. Maybe to the restaurant selling skin tacos.

Good discussion.

2.    Sarah on September 29, 2011 4:13 PM
  3.    fuglsang on October 4, 2011 2:27 AM

Thank you, Sarah.

Name (required)

Email (required)

Website

Speak your mind