Earth Mirrors…?

September 1, 2011 | | 1 Comment

Located near Eppley Auditorium is this unusual set of nine stones with mirrors on varying sides. This piece of art was dedicated to the school on April 13, 2011 by Andrea Stanislav. Each of the large stones, some standing taller than five feet, are flat on at least one side and jagged on the others. They are a beige color with hints of brown and orange- some places even looking rusted and weathered. The mirrors are not perfect. Some have many flaws, distorting the picture when looking through. The mirrors are cut to fit the face of the rock they are positioned on. Three face one way, three the opposite and the other three are in different directions. After observing from afar, I took a closer look at each of the nine stones and mirrors. Each one has a different view of its surrounding. Some face the sky, some the buildings, and some the parking lot. None of the mirrors are placed on the top of the stone, making it seem as if the artist wanted the viewer to see themselves in the mirror along with their surroundings.

People walking past these stones, not knowing the history or the meaning behind them stare in confusion. They are probably wondering the same thing that I am. Why are these nine random rocks placed on the edge of Morningside’s campus?! These nine “earth mirrors” as shown on the plaque near the exhibit stick out like a sore thumb. They are surrounded by streets and parking lots, trees and buildings- the type of place one would not expect a piece of art to be. Because each stone has a mirror on one side, they allow people to look and see their own reflection. The only reason I can see them being useful here on campus is that they are handy for getting ready on one’s way to class!

Sitting here on a clean patch of grass observing these nine stones is making me sweat. It is a perfectly clear day. The sun beaming down on these mirrors reflects off onto me and makes me wish I had a pair of sunglasses on. Now that I am done observing, I stand up, wipe the grass off of my shorts, and without even thinking, go over to one of the mirrors and take a glance at myself before leaving my work area. I seemed to have gotten a sun tan!

Comments

1 Comment so far

1.    fuglsang on September 6, 2011 2:38 PM

There’s no place to comment on the News Critiques, likely because it’s a page rather than a post. Explore a bit more why this is news. Who would enjoy it?

Name (required)

Email (required)

Website

Speak your mind