Wisdom

The article we had to read for the next session was hard to comprehend.  I received the gist of it, though.  Basically, the Wisdom of Solomon was about beauty.  Solomon (supposedly is Solomon) was pondering why people believed that the beautiful materials were not created by God.  Namely, materials such as fire or water or even the earth itself.  Solomon did not blame them because the people would believe it until they saw it for themselves.  And the creation incident took place quite a while ago.  Billions of years ago, more or less.  So, Solomon certainly did not blame them.  They just simply had to believe that God did.

Well, this was an interesting article.  It really opened my eyes.  I never once thought about how nature in general came about.  Now, however, I must admit a lot of time and especially energy was devoted somehow, someway to make this world existent.  But, I don’t agree with Solomon.  At least not that it was all created by God.  My viewpoints are more scientific, logical.  So, I agree with the Big Bang theory.  The Big Bang theory could explain how Earth came about.  But, what about beforehand?  There’s no evidence about that.  And the Big Bang theory is just that, a theory.  So, I believe that, at one point, there was an ultimate being.  But after that, he or she, or better yet, IT, just let all of its creations loose and essentially let “science” take over.

This entry was posted in Honors. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Wisdom

1. McKenzie says:

I agree wholeheartedly with your analysis of the reading. I liked your comment about how not all of beauty was not created by God. It’s interesting how when we view beauty in nature, we view it so much differently than how we view beauty in the people around us. When we see a beautiful person, a lot of the time we wonder how they got that way, what products they use, or what their “tips and tricks” are for being attractive. When we see beauty in nature, however, we kind of just accept it and don’t go deeper into it.

2. Forrest says:

I agree with you as well, as there really should be no problem with having the existence of one great power, but also still all the formulaic, scientific parts of nature to still be completely true. I want to see the meshing of these two into a more natural and accepted “religion” of sorts.