Final

Meet Drew Girres.

Mr. Girres was born on October 2nd , 1997 and was raised in Sergeant Bluff. In this community Girres became a beloved football player, as quoted by Coach Justin Smith, “Drew was the type of player that you love have. He was a hard worker, and despite being smaller than almost everyone on the team, but he’d play like he was the biggest.”

Sergeant Bluff being the smaller town that it is Mr. Girres was naturally belove by the community that valued hard work, perseverance, and a positive attitude.  

As Drew became a senior at Sergeant Bluff Luton, he was positioned to accomplish some massive things. Throughout the school days and fall nights, he was scoring touchdowns on the field and in the classroom. By the time his senior football season was over, Mr. Girres became 1st team football academic all-district. Mr. Girres saying of the occasion, “That was the ultimate goal to not only have my accomplishment be shown on the field but in the classroom as well and obviously most importantly.”

I caught up with Mr. Andy Girres (Drew’s Father) to have him tell me a story on what I took for Drew to reach that goal, “Well, I can tell you for Drew it was never easy, as you know. Drew never started as middle school on the 7th or 8th grade teams, he almost never played on freshman teams or on JV as a sophomore. He just kept griding away at his goals however and now that worth ethic has carried him to were he his now. I can remember the nights as a senior that Drew would have, he’d come home after a Friday night and while we all knew most kid were out doing things they probably shouldn’t Drew would be inside finishing up homework for the week. That’s the drive that my son had.”

Drew would choose not to play football after high school; however, this wouldn’t be the end of the road for Drew academically. The college life came knocking for Drew. He would later enroll to Iowa State’s school of business and study marketing.

Four years later Drew would graduate from Iowa State with a degree in Marketing and on what it took to get through college Drew said, “When I first got to school I can’t I missed football and I was filling that void with all of the wrong things, but once I found things that I enjoyed that filled that void, my entire college experience changed.”

If you are looking for Drew now, you will have to travel to the City of Ames, As Drew Girres as of the writing of this piece works for Workiva, a marketing firm in Ames. I speak for all Sergeant Bluff residents when I say, we look forward to seeing what Drew can accomplish next.