Media comparison- “Jon Gruden Resigns” (10.28)

Because It was a story that got coverage by the national news, I decided to look at the Jon Gruden scandal, were the former Raiders coach was discovered to have sent hundreds of homophobic, racist, and misogynistic email in order to degrade and disparage people. The coach would resign as head coach of the raiders.

Frist thing I noticed that was different was the lead. New York times said, “Raiders Coach resigns…” and “Jon Gruden stepped down”. While GMA, opened by saying “Now to that breaking news in the NFL overnight”. GMA also had the headline of “Breaking overnight, Gruden steps down”. I think you see this because GMA assumes you’ve already heard the news while New York Times is trying to get you to read there entire story, while GMA knows it will have Viewers. As for the overall structure New York Times has you look at quotes on the issue from experts, gives insight into the history of Gruden and the Raiders, and tells the reader why the emails got discovered. As for the GMA story, its funny to me that they start with saying we can’t go over what is in the emails before overviewing the entire set of bad emails, the GMA article quotes the New York times article, and then pulls in a wide variety of different viewpoints.

As for the length and imagery the read and the watch are both about 5 minutes, but the GMA news story used FAR more images and different voices.

Something that I noticed before is that TV news will gather a lot of resources as opposed to something like the New York Times who will just focus on the leading experts. TV news will use quotes from everywhere whereas the New Time Article just used Gruden and Adam Schefter.

Links: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2021/10/11/sports/football/what-did-jon-gruden-say.amp.html