Reverse Scavenger Hunt

The reverse scavenger hunt experiment during COVID times was unusual. I was given a box of 5 sweet and sour gummies to hand out to people. Since we are in the middle of a pandemic how I was going to do this was going to take more planning and preparation than before the pandemic.

To play it safe, the first packet I decided to give to my roommate, Morgan Sale, she was doing her homework at our kitchen table and without saying anything I offered her a gummy. The first initial response was confusion from her, but she willingly accepted the treat and then asked why I was offering it to her. We discussed how it was safer to give it to someone I was living with rather than a stranger or other college student on campus. She then suggested I give one to our other roommate as well to help safely complete the assignment.

The second person I offered the snack to was Diego Marquez, my other roommate. This was more alarming, Diego was sleeping on the couch and I decided to throw the snack at him and get his alarming response. Once the snack smacked him in the face he shot up on the couch and asked what time it was. After telling him the time he looked down and asked what the snack was that landed on his chest. I then explained the assignment and he asked if he could just pretend to be another individual, and I said no.

The third person I offered the snack to was my boyfriend, Dylan Root. We had plans to meet for dinner so I headed to his house and he was doing his lesson plans for the next day when I offered him a snack, he closed his computer and took one from the box. His response was excitement, and did not even ask why I had a box of fruit snacks in my purse. I later described why I had offered it to him, and he just thought it was a casual thing I would do on any given day so he was not taken back by it.

The next snack I handed out was to my friend over the weekend who came to my house after being downtown and was extremely intoxicated she was excited and willing to take the snacks.

Overall, everyone was confused at first but willing to accept the snack in the end.

One thought on “Reverse Scavenger Hunt

1. Yes, COVID did make this an unlikely assignment.
    But they are individually wrapped!?

I didn’t know Diego was your roommate. He
    wouldn’t be surprised if you told him I assigned
    this.

As you go about assignments for this class, try
    to infuse them with creativity and descriptive
    elements. Feature writing does allow more
    freedom than straight news writing. Stretch
    yourself, Hailey.

You should have one left? What’s the plan?