Uncategorized

“A Rebuilt Pitcher Puts Together the Season’s First No-Hitter” By Tyler Kepner

White Sox pitcher Lucas Giolito has no ordinary resume. Looking back into 2018, Lucas sported a 6.18 Earned Run Average, (which isn’t the best), and put up 90 walks in a season. These two stats alone are major red flags for organizations, its very hard as a pitcher to stay in the big leagues with the numbers Lucas put up in his 2018 campaign.

Giolito says “I lead the MLB in pitching categories that you don’t want to be leaders in, but that didn’t stop me from pitching and continuing to get better.” He used those stats as motivation and fuel to pitch better and progress to the side of stats that you want to be on!

After his 2018 season and onto this years spring training, he focused on his mechanics and focused on his best pitches, including his fastball. in 2019 he made his first all-star team and pitched 1 inning for the national team during the all-star game.

This year for the MLB and all sports has been crazy. Baseball has been on top of things with keeping players safe and continuing games during the COVID pandemic. With a shorter amount of games and less time to prepare, pitchers haven’t got ahead of schedule like they usually do. With things heating up around the league, Lucas Giolito threw the first no-hitter of the 2020 MLB season. Lucas beat the Pirates 4-0 while striking out 13 batters and giving up no hits.

This was Giolito’s first season with the White Sox after 5 years in Washington. Thank goodness he came to Chicago, would he have thrown a no-hitter on the same day with a different team? probably not. The statistical stand point of throwing a no hitter is 0.05%, not very high. In Giolito’s case, it was his lucky day.

“The atmosphere was weird with no fans, but I could hear the simulated fans get louder and louder as the game went on. I definitely had less nerves than I would have had if the stadium was full. I kept my composer and stayed calm throughout the game, my stuff was just on today.”

Congrats Lucas on your no-hitter!

August 27, 2020

About Author

cjk008

4 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “News Comment #1”

1. Include a link to the original story.

Just a brief summary. I’m not seeing what you think of the story.
    Comment on its newsworthiness. It’s objectivity (though it is
    sports). Is there a news value?