the posts of a barely sane college student

I Believe in Being a Ray of Sunshine

I believe in being a ray of sunshine. That super power that everyone manifests to do one little thing that brightens up someone’s cloudy day.

These little actions look like the person in front of you buying your coffee, a significant other bringing home flowers, or sending a friend a card. Small deeds with the intention to brighten the day or situation of others.

My parents showed me the value of finding ways to be a ray of sunshine growing up. They would hear about unfortunate situations or valleys that others were living in. Their response wasn’t ever just saying “sorry” or “that sucks” and leaving it at that but shedding some light during their rough patch.

My parents’ instinct of delivering some sunshine led them to bring casseroles to others, having a coffee, or helping fix things. All done in hopes of helping others.

I could always sense the difference my parents made with these little acts. Whenever a person saw them, they would always run up with a big grin on their face and deeply thank my parents. Sometimes these run-ins led to hugging sessions when they wrapped up, typically done by my mother due to her roots being from Texas.

My mom and dad never wanted anything in return. They were satisfied just seeing the smiles of others.

I had my first big ray of sunshine moment happen a few weeks before freshman year of college. 

A friend of mine was going to the University of Iowa to continue her education. Both of her parents were unable to make the drive all the way to Iowa City due to working intense full-time jobs to make ends meet. She was forced to purchase a bus ticket to go to her enrollment day by herself.

I knew she was nervous.

“Hey, I am outside your house. Can you come out for a minute?” I asked her over the phone. I sat in the passenger seat in my mom’s van with a gift bag sitting on my lap. I smiled as soon as I saw my friend walk out of her house up to the vehicle.

I quickly rolled down the window and handed the bag to her. She peered inside to see the travel snacks and coloring book within before looking up with tears in her eyes.

“I can’t believe you did this for me,” she quietly said, “You don’t know how much this means to me.” I got out of the van and embraced her tightly, feeling her tears soak into my t-shirt.

Everyone has their rough patches. Moments where it is hard to wake up and be excited for the day. It can take a toll on people with clouds of life dragging them down. Finding a way to make other’s bad circumstances better for a moment is what defines us as human beings. It’s our power to create a ray of sunshine for others. 

1 Comment

1. fuglsang

Nicely done, Abby. A good story within a story. The travel snacks bit sounded kind of familiar.

That one sentence — I knew she was nervous — stands out. It’s a nice change of pace. You could give just a beat more to let it resonate.

Also, nice use of dialogue, even if it’s brief.