A Romantic Afternoon…Well, Sort of

SAMSUNG

Sign from the restaurant

Trying to find that romantic, Friday night location was always a hassle, and Olive Garden seemed to be the Sioux City staple for years but it always left more to be desired. After visiting Trattoria Fresco, I found a place that filled that void! Trattoria Fresco is located on Jackson Street across from the old J.C. Penny, and offers a variety of homemade Italian dishes and decadent desserts ranging from Chicken Parmesan to the classic Chicken Alfredo. The desserts are literally to die for, and I would recommend the tiramisu or chocolate ganache, a chocolate lover’s dream! The service is friendly, and one can expect to find the owner serving dishes with a smile, and let’s not forget our favorite crooner, Dean Martin singing some classic ballads and setting the perfect mood for a first date! Even though I will be attending Trattoria Fresco stag, I hope to set that romantic mood that one should expect to find with each visit!

Critique:

SAMSUNG

Doesn’t that look excellent?

Although I am not a huge fan of Italian food, I decided to go with my favorite Italian dish, Chicken Parmesan. Upon arrival, I was surprised at the amount of food I received, and knew I would be taking leftovers home for the weekend! The dish was split into halves, one side of the plate holding the penne noodles covered in tomato sauce, while the other half held the monstrosity of a chicken patty covered in melted mozzarella and tomato sauce. To begin, the noodles were cooked perfectly and were quite tender, while the tomato sauce was light and creamy; and I could tell from the start that every part of the meal was homemade. The best part of the dish had to be the pan seared chicken breast, which had that crunchy, golden brown crust that makes this dish a favorite of mine. The mozzarella cheese was rich and creamy, and gave the needed contrast to the rich, golden crust of the chicken breast. Of course the only downfall of the meal was the sauce, which made the crust a bit soggy, but that is expected with this meal! The chicken breast packed a punch that Mike Tyson would be jealous of, and was juicy and tender. Following the filling meal, I decided to order three deserts, one of which being my favorite: tiramisu, chocolate ganache, and a canole. The moment these three decadent desserts arrived, I knew I would be v

isiting dessert heaven! Their tiramisu was the best I’ve had to date, and was everything I expected—rich, creamy and light. Each bite of the tiramisu made me want to order an extra for the road, while the canole was similar to one of my bakery favorites—the cream horn—which was filled with a rich cream, while the outside was fried to a golden brown. The surprise of the day had to be the chocolate ganache—a creamy, pie like dish featuring a thick chocolate bottom similar to a truffle. Each bite was a tease, and was enough to cause me to consider ordering dessert first upon my next visit! The interior of the restaurant fit the Italian theme, not to mention the classic Dean Martin tunes that played during the meal as well. Considering the amount of food you will receive, the price tag will not upset your wallet, while the owner is quite friendly and accommodating! Overall, I give the restaurant 3.5 out of 4 wisdom teeth, and would recommend it to anyone looking for an Italian restaurant serving quality dishes—a great place to take your wife or first date for a romantic night together!

SAMSUNG

Too pretty to eat!

SAMSUNG

Pinot Noir and dessert, always a win!