Morningside Psychology Department

Many students looking to major in psychology choose Morningside because of their psychology department.  Unlike other colleges, Morningside College has specific majors for people interested in psychology.  These majors include Counseling, General, Biopsychology, and Industrial Organizational Psychology.  Most students who major in Psychology at Morningside decide to go onto graduate school afterwards.

Morningside College seems to do a very good job of preparing students who want to succeed in graduate school or other types of professional careers.  In order to do this, the psychology department pushes students to excel by challenging them in different courses.  Psychology majors will experience classes that deal with many different areas of psychology.  Even if a student is a counseling major, they will take classes in other fields such as Industrial Organizational or even take a class that requires them to condition a rat to respond to different stimuli.

Psychology majors tend to pick and choose what they want to do.  Since there are many different types of classes offered and different professors teach the classes, they have the freedom to choose.  Some classes are more hands on, like the class Learning Memory and Lab, where the students have their own lab rats.  Other classes are more lecture oriented.  It all depends on what the student wants to take.

One class that psychology majors are required to take before graduating is Professional Seminar.  This class is supposed to teach students how to write properly, carry out ethical research, and be an overall professional.  This is only a two-credit course and requires a lot of work.  Meleshia Jenson, a senior psychology majors shares a dislike for this class with many psychology majors.  “I hate how much work is involved in this class.  It’s only two credits and I’m working harder than in most of my other classes.  I also hate how the class is taught.  The professor often messes up the moodle site so it’s hard to understand what is due for the next class period.  I feel like I’m doing poorly because of the professor.”

One Response to “Morningside Psychology Department”

1. fuglsang Says:

I’m not sure where you’re going with this, Sam. If it’s going to be about Seminar, you need to get to it in the first graf. If it’s about the department, get to the point talk to faculty and talk to students. You’re sort of talking around the subject.

My guess is you want the main point to be seminar. That’s fine. The psych faculty know it’s hard and that’s the point. But you need to talk to them in order to present a balanced story. You can’t just talk to students who are mad.

Focus, Sam. And talk to faculty.