Are TV Shows Making Girls Mean?

In today’s media, the younger generation watch a lot of television.  Most of the shows they watch include entertainment shows.  These shows include things like Jersey Shore, Bad Girls Club, The Real World, and many others.  One of the main audiences that these shows seem to affect are young females.  The article talked about how the shows film a lot of females getting into so called “cat fights.”  These cat fights have been said to make the young female audience more likely to get into fights with their own peers.  The article goes on to talk about how the shows affect them and ways to prevent your female adolescent from becoming a “mean girl.”

This article is considered news to me because I am a young female and I like to watch these shows.  I do not agree that these shows are the core reason why the younger generation is acting out.  I think girls are just growing a backbone.  In earlier media, the woman is always supposed to be polite and “lady-like”.  Just because a girl is opinionated and independent does not mean she is a “mean girl.”  This can end up being a very controversial subject.  If parents are going to blame television shows for their child acting up, maybe they should be monitoring what their kids watch.

One Response to “Are TV Shows Making Girls Mean?”

1. fuglsang Says:

Link to the story, Sam, and to another site that would provide additional info. This is a good story to discuss, though. TV and the “new woman.”