Charlotte’s Web of Issues

The New York Times recently released an article about the changing image of Charlotte, North Carolina. The shooting of Keith Lamont has put the back in the headlines. The shooting caused riots that claimed the life of another innocent civilian.

Charlotte was most prominently in the news following the police shooting of college student Jonathan Ferrell. Much like the events of this week, the 2013 shooting also caused riots among the population. Since the first night of the recent protests Charlotte mayor Jennifer Roberts has enacted a city-wide curfew. The National Guard has also been dispatched to protect the commercial areas of the city.

This article was not as I expected it to be. The headline, Fatal Shooting by Police Shakes Charlotte’s Self-Image, seemed to promise recent news of the shooting. However, the article mostly covered the background of the Charlotte. It featured recent political tension and the growth of city commerce since the 1960’s.

The article was informative, and I do recommend it, but it is not as the headline suggests. It did however explain the status of everyone that they interviewed. This made it easier to understand the different viewpoints of several city demographics.

One Response to “Charlotte’s Web of Issues”

1. fuglsang Says:

You may be right about the headline. I’m sure it could have been clearer about the focus on history and “self-image.”