Scavenger Hunt – Watch for Gesture

In video practicum, most students do not pay attention in class. Ironically, instead of paying attention to learning how to make videos, many of them are busy consuming videos. Yet, somehow, at least some of them seem to be able to multitask well enough. Two students, in particular, stand out to me. I am fairly confident that one of them is a Mass Communication major. I am not sure about the other one. Regardless, neither one of them ever pays attention.

One of them has an interesting habit of sitting on chairs with her back leaned against the wall next to her and her knees pulled up to her chin. She just sits there, sometimes silently, sometimes not, with her laptop in front of her. Although I am not sure what exactly she is doing on there, her conversations usually serve as a good clue. One of the more common topics she likes to explain, over and over again, to the student next to her is her wish to leave Morningside and go to Florida to study there. She does so with barely contained excitement and doesn’t seem to realize how loud she is being, not that the other student is any better. Throughout all of that, she tends to keep her eyes on the professor and only rarely looks away to check something out on her laptop. Strangely enough, that is worse when she is not talking to anyone. Despite her apparent attention, her eyes glaze over and she still doesn’t actively pay attention to anything that she is supposed to be learning. In the meantime, the other student is watching things on her phone and keeping up the conversations with comments on her own. Unfortunately, she has a naturally loud voice which makes their conversations hard to miss, although everyone else seems to be doing a good enough job at ignoring them.

One Reply to “Scavenger Hunt – Watch for Gesture”

1. This is distressing, but at the same time I see students doing it in every class. It distracts me. I can only imagine what it’s doing to students nearby. I will come down on students who think they need to talk in class. But as with computers and cell phones, they will only stop temporarily. Good description.